Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I know you all need an update. So, I'm just going to copy and paste what I just wrote to a friend:

Regarding my decision, no doctor (not even my oncologist) thinks I should go without a mastectomy. The cancer I have (had?) is extremely aggressive and they don't want to miss one cell. There is no way to be 100% sure that all of the cancer is gone. Per my oncologist, if something were left, it could mutate and the drugs that work now may not work in the future. Since there aren't many drugs that I can use with the type of cancer I have this would be risky. What if Herceptin, which is extremely effective now, no longer worked for me? I'm really afraid of surgery and recovery so I was hoping for different news... ugh! I was so happy after the MRI and now I feel like I've been hit in the stomach. I'm going to Chapel Hill today and will have more docs telling me the same, I'm sure. I definitely hate cancer.

I'm sorry I didn't respond to calls yesterday... I just couldn't. My emotions have gotten the best of me. But, know that I appreciate all of the continued love and support! I really do. And, even though I'm down right now, I'll get through it.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you! =)

1 comment:

  1. Lara, my heart and my prayers goes out to you. You are in my prayers, everyday!!

    Love,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete