I'm sorry I haven't updated my blog in a while. The days went by quickly while I slept. Luckily, I'm more active now but I still tire easily if I do more than one outing in the day.
A day after my last update, Feb 23rd, I had my blood tested, met with my oncologist and sat in the chemo chair for Herceptin. Dr. Rubin was impressed that most of my DCIS had melted away. (It usually only works on invasive cancer.) I was glad that my blood looked good so I was able to start my "once every three weeks" dose of Herceptin.
On Feb 25th, I noticed that the bleeding on my right side was increasing as the wound seemed to separate more. After emailing a picture to my plastic surgeon, he wanted me to use steristrips to pull the wound together and come back to Chapel Hill the following morning. Dr. Halvorson liked how the steristrips were holding the wound together and said to continue this and to let him know if anything got worse.
I have to thank my sister, Liza, for all the time spent driving me to appointments in Chapel Hill and Greensboro. It seemed that we spent a lot of my awake time in the car and in doctors offices. Sadly, she had to go back to Paris on the 28th. But, luckily on the same day, my cousin Mary Pat was on her way to Greensboro. (Even more lucky, my cousin and sister got to meet up in the Washington Dulles airport while they waited on their delayed connecting flights! What a coincidence!)
Mary Pat has been here and has been cracking the whip on my physical therapy. I can't wait until I have full mobility back in my arms. I also can't wait until my pectoralis muscle heals (it had to be cut by the plastic surgeon for the one stage reconstruction), so I can't open/close doors, put on my own seat belt, etc. There is nothing like waiting for someone else to do these things for you when you just want to do them yourself! But, most of all, I can't wait for the burning sensation to go away from the back of my arm when I move it to a position it doesn't want to go.
Patience, right?! Overall, I'm glad that the cosmetic result of my reconstruction so far is pretty darn good. I'm also glad that I was able to get all of this done in one surgery. (The original path that they wanted me to follow was to have several surgeries... #1: mastectomy of the right breast #2: mastectomy of the left breast #3: add tissue expanders #4: remove expanders and put in implants... yuck!) I have a lot to be thankful for...
Thanks to all of you for the love book (that made me cry!), flowers, cookie bouquet, cards/emails, pajamas, spa gifts, lunch, dinner, etc. etc. I am TRULY blessed to have so many wonderful, loving people in my life. Love to you all! =)
Tomorrow, I'll say goodbye to Mary Pat in the morning but my sister, Greta, will be here in the evening... (Heck, MP and Greta may be lucky and see each other in Washington Dulles while waiting for their connections!) I'm glad I've had such great help and company through all of this!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment