Since I feel like this journey is pretty much over, it's hard to think about updating this blog. I really don't consider myself to be a "cancer patient" and I probably never really did. (Strange, I know.) It seems like this experience was just something that happened and my world turned upside down for a while. In the end, it's been more like an assigned "project" that required a bunch of research, meetings and decisions. I give myself an "A" for my project management skills. (Now, I'm making myself laugh. Is this the right time to write this, I wonder... But, I will. After all, I've signed in!)
I am happy to report that I only have two more treatments of Herceptin left. So, September 21st should be the last ever appointment in the chemo room! Hooray!! I can't wait. I'm thankful that I had great nurses in there. But, hopefully, after my last treatment, I only get to see them when I'm out and about instead of in that room.
I also have a couple small procedures left with the plastic surgeon. On Monday, I will meet with Dr. Halvorson in Chapel Hill to go over the nipple reconstruction procedure and, at a later date, a tattoo to finish the look. (Doug likes to tease me that I've always said I wouldn't get a tattoo but this is different. It just looks strange to be nippleless!)
Other than that, we've had a fantastic summer that has flown by way too fast. We've gone to the beach with my parents as well as Greta, Laurent & Kadia. (Greta actually did a "house exchange" and swapped her flat in Paris for a beach house in Myrtle. So we stayed at the home of a published children's book author, Peggy Gifford. Aidan, our avid reader, finished all three of her books in one day.) It was a wonderful house on a lake in a terrific area with a PRIVATE beach. A fantastic trip.
We also went to Pittsburgh and while we were there, we went to Steeler's training camp. We now have some great autographs and pictures... Even cooler? We ate dinner in the dining hall with the players and their families. So neat.
We also got to leave our kids in Pittsburgh. After 10 days of not seeing them (who's counting?), Doug's parent's drove the kids home last night. It's great to see them. In addition, having them back will help save us from ourselves... We've gone out almost EVERY night while they were gone. Parties, Movies, Trivia, Dinner... No prearranging a sitter required! (Big thanks to Grandma & Papa who are worn out, I'm sure!)
In mid May, I was given medical clearance to do aerobic activities (besides walking) again. My girlfriend, Jenny, had started a 9 week "Couch to 5K" program and I really wanted to see if I could run, too. Now, I'm running 3.1 miles during lunch many days of the week. It's tough but awesome. The last two Wednesdays, I also swam 1 mile (which is 36 laps or 72 lengths). That inspiration came from my Mom who swam a mile on her last birthday!
Despite the fact that the drugs I'm on cause weight gain, the exercise, along with a much better diet, has helped me drop the 9 pounds I put on during recovery. In fact, I actually had to go out and buy size 6 jeans this past weekend. Yay!
As you can see, I'm really doing great! And, I hope you are, too. =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment