Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Taxol/Herceptin Treatment #2

I had blood labs, an appointment with my physician assistant and chemo today.... err, yesterday. (I guess I am officially into the next day since it is after midnight.)

All went fine. They were happy to see that I had developed quite a rash on my face since starting the Lapatinib pills last week. Why happy? Well, apparently, there have been studies showing that people who get rashes have a better result from the drug. So, although I look like a teenager with a bad complexion, I guess it is good. At least, they gave me a prescription for it. I hope it helps!

The other side affect of Lapatinib keeps me running to a bathroom... Goodness. This stuff isn't fun. But, I must say, I'd much rather have these symptoms than feeling so awful from the AC treatments I was on before. This is a "walk in the park" in comparison!

Also, I'm getting some soft hair on top of my head. Although, Taxol does cause hair loss, I'm on it weekly which means my dose is smaller... This allows some hair to regrow. Yay! (Now, how long does it take to grow hair?!?)

Since I fell asleep during treatment last time, I had Doug simply drop me off and pick me up after. There was no need for someone to join me while I napped. Although, I did ask for less Benadryl. And, even though they reduced the dose by half, I still couldn't read my book or play with my new iphone... (yes! I said iphone. I got it on Sunday and it is fabulous!)

During chemo, I had no bad reactions to the taxol, again. That was great. But, I did notice a little tingling in my toes and even less in my fingers tonight. I'll call them about that tomorrow. But, we did expect some of that to happen. As long as it doesn't stay for too long (approaching a week), I'm good.

Since I slept all day, I'm now awake. But, the sleep was good. I'm actually feeling more refreshed right now (albeit in the middle of the night) than I have most of this week. I must admit, I've been quite tired keeping up with our crazy schedules.

Now, a question to my readers... Do I update this blog enough? A friend wanted me to add a poll to find out what everyone thinks. She thinks I need more updates! Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Lara,
    I am so glad to hear that you are taking a "walk in the park". Even with the side effects, it has to be better. I am smiling thinking that your hair is beginning to return. Soft hair is definitely a beginning. Congrats on your new phone. I hope some day our carrier will be able to carry the iphone so I can get my "apps".
    As for your poll, I do check your blog daily but that is just me. I am sure that you are adding info as it is new or pertinent. I am always glad to see a note from you.
    Always thinking of you.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete