Friday, October 16, 2009

Tingling...

On Tuesday, I talked to the PA about the tingling in my fingers and toes. We considered not taking Taxol that day and just getting Herceptin instead. However, the clinical trial recommended that if I still had functionality, I should go ahead and get the Taxol treatment. With that advise and knowing that I won't get Taxol at the next treatment on the 20th, I went ahead and took the full chemo dose on schedule. (The Taxol schedule is once a week for three weeks, then one week off. Then, repeat for 16 weeks until the end of January.)

However, I must say, the tingling in my toes got much worse... and even crept up my leg. I told Doug that if the tingling doesn't go away by the next scheduled Taxol treatment (Oct 27th), I will stop. It is a realistic fear that the tingling and numbness will be permanent. So, I don't want to do anything to make that my new "norm".

The tingling is the worst at night while I try to sleep. The strange sensation actually keeps me up. I'm sure part of it is that I'm nervous that we went too far. But, I need not think like that! It will go away... I have to believe that it will...

Thanks for all the responses from my survey last week. Despite, the fact that everyone said they would love more updates, it took longer for me to write an update. (I think I really wanted to say the tingling had stopped before writing... but, no such luck!)

Doug's mom just left today. It was a nice week long visit and she was very helpful. I just wish I hadn't been so tired while she was here. We'll miss her! (And, the kids will especially miss having hot tea in the mornings! She definitely spoiled them!)

P.S. Last weekend Aidan celebrated his 9th birthday!! (I can't believe he is already 9 years old!) We took him and two of his buddies to MagiQuest in Concord. He absolutely LOVED it. Even Regan had a great time. Check out the website...

http://www.magiquest.com

1 comment:

  1. lara;
    i sit and read, and know how brave you are; my advice is to continue letting doug & your children give you strength, for their love will get you thru it all.
    my youngest son was diagnosed w/leukemia @ 2yrs old; one of the worst types, and he was one of the first survivors. he is now 29. michael and his 2 brothers helped me survive the turmoil of those days, 3 & 1/2 yrs of chemo, 10 days of rads. any time you need a shoulder, i am here for you.
    once the peach fuzz starts growing, you are home free; even tho alek's hair came in a bit of a different shade, and with a few grey's @ 3yrs, lol...i cried like heck when it fell out, and when i saw the first ones growing back!
    be strong, and many blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete