Thursday, December 3, 2009

Just got a call from the clinical trial coordinator...

Cindy Shaw, the clinical trial coordinator, wanted to give me a heads up that they are hoping that my Neutrophil (a component of my white blood cells that fight infection) count goes back up before the next treatment. My labs showed that my count dropped down to 1.3 from 2.1 the previous week. And, the study dictates that I need a count of 1.2 or greater to get treatment.

They need to follow these guidelines to protect me... so, I can continue to fight bacteria/microorganisms and not get life-threatening infections.

There is nothing I can do (like taking a vitamin) to make these numbers go up. She suggested that I rest when I can. I told her that on Tuesday night I didn't get ONE minute of sleep. That can't be good for my Neutrophil count!!

Now... when can I schedule in some naps with this busy schedule of mine? (I just looked at my calendar for this weekend... Regan is in a Christmas parade, Aidan's going to a birthday birthday party and has basketball game and practice, and we have fun evening plans for Saturday night. To top it off, Christmas is 22 days a way, and I wanted to get the tree and decorate this weekend. I have done nothing... No decorating or shopping... to prepare yet!! Yikes!)

Here's some information about Neutrophil:

Neutrophil - Type of White Blood Cell (WBC)

Definition: A type of white blood cell (WBC) filled with microscopic sacs (granules) containing enzymes that digest bacteria and other microorganisms. This process is known as phagocytosis.

Neutrophils surround "intruders" in your blood and "eat" them, thereby destroying potential infections. These white blood cells are a very important part of your immune system. Neutrophils are produced in the bone marrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment