Yesterday, I met with Dr. Nancy Demore, the General Surgeon who will perform the mastectomy. Dr. Demore was on board with a skin saving mastectomy but doesn't think I'm a candidate for saving my nipple... As for the type of incision she will make, she said she would follow what the plastic surgeon believes would provide the best outcome. She said she would probably have to make an inverted T (aka "lollipop") incision. She understands that I am very motivated to have reconstruction immediately. So, she would perform the mastectomy and have the plastic surgeon follow her in the operating room. I would like to have implants put in right away but I may have to settle with tissue expanders first. (There could be complications with radiating over implants.)
You can see the type of surgery I would prefer here...
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/procedure_list/830
If I had followed the first plan presented to me, the general surgeon here in Greensboro wouldn't have done a skin saving mastectomy!! How crazy is that?! I'm glad I went to Chapel Hill for second opinions and I'm glad I had time to do some research before such a big surgery.
Right now, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do just one or both. The biggest issue I have with doing both is the loss of feeling... My skin will feel numb... from the collar bone down to the bra line to under my arm. That's a lot of numbness. I don't know about you, but I hate the feeling I have after the dentist numbs my mouth. Now, think of that numbness lasting forever! Ugh!
Dr. Demore said the plastic surgeon, Dr. Halvorson, is fantastic. I will be able to see pictures of his work and ask a bunch of questions next week at my Tuesday appointment.
I do need to make another appointment with the radiologist so I can make some decisions about the implant or tissue expanders. Hopefully, I can get an appointment with her soon.
I'm off to my blood lab, follow up appointment and chemo appointments now... More later...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Lara,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you went for the second opinion. I can't believe that all mastectomies aren't done with the skin-saving technique. It is a no-brainer. Wow...
Michelle
I agree that it is a no brainer... I don't understand why surgeons don't try to get the best possible outcome for the patient. It is as if saving my life is enough... But, if you CAN get a better result AND save my life, let's do it!! Did you see the video? I hope so... The mastectomy that is usually done is barbaric! People need to be educated that there is a better way to perform the surgery and demand care from professionals that is as best as possible for the patient... not just the "easiest" for the surgeon!!
ReplyDeleteLara,
ReplyDeleteI am likewise, glad that you had a second opinion and that you have a surgery team (breast surgeon & plastic surgeon) that will give you the optimum results - from both cancer removal & reconstruction. You were certainly wise to get the second opinion.
I don't know when the first skin-saving mastectomy was performed, but the earliest reference that I could find on the Internet is 1998. We know that new surgical interventions must undergo clinical trials, with refinement of techniques based on the trials; physicians must receive the additional traning to do the last procedures, etc., etc.
And, I do not know when surgeons became specialized in breast surgeries; don't recall there being breast surgeons in my early nursing days. Nor did I realize there is a American Society of Breast Surgeons (http://www.breastsurgeons.org/, did you? I see that Maria Frexes, MD, the physicial who did my sterotactic breast biopsy early last year, is a member.
Take care, Lara. Recovery is just around the corner!