Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Last week's appointment with the plastic surgeon...

Last Tuesday was busy. We left chemo and went to Chapel Hill for my appointment with Dr. Halvorson. The appointment was over three hours long! We met with the nurse first to discuss options. I advised her that I wanted a skin saving technique to be used and hoped to have implants put in immediately, if possible. After examining me, Dr. Halvorson said I was a candidate for immediate reconstruction. But, the incision I wanted (upside down T, lollipop) wasn't recommended. The chance for necrosis (cell death) of the skin was higher with that incision. Plus, since I can't keep my nipple, the lollipop (circle) part of the incision would be hard to close... The situation would be different if I could keep my nipple.

He described an incision that was less invasive (basically a oval/eye shaped) incision around the nipple. When sewn shut, the scar would be a straight line across my breast... But angled so the scar would be high towards my shoulders and low towards the center of my body. Kind of like this: \ /

This incision is better for bathing suits, etc.

He said that he would draw the lines for the general surgeon to cut... They will work back to back in the operating room.

I hope to have implants put in immediately. However, he did say that I may end up with expanders depending on my status after Dr. Demore has completed the bilateral mastectomy. As much as I want a one-step process (I don't want two surgeries!), I trust that he will do what is best.

That's all for now since I'm getting chemo and it takes a while to type on my iPhone...

No comments:

Post a Comment