Thursday, February 11, 2010

Surgery is a Success

Three hours into the surgery, at 10:30, Dr. Demore finished her part of the surgery. She told Doug and my mom that the mastectomy was complete and the surgery was going very well and that Dr. Halvorson had already completed reconstruction on the right breast. Two hours later, around 12:30, Dr. Halvorson told Doug and mom that I was able to have the immediate reconstruction with two 600cc silicone implants. He said that he believed he was able to achieve a very good result. He said I would be sore and that there would be tightness in my chest from the implants, but that it should go away after a day or two. I felt rather sick coming off the anesthesia and needed additional nausea medication. I was placed in the recovery room after surgery for over 5 hours, until I could get a private room. I was allowed a visitor once an hour for five minutes at a time, however, that didn't work out as planned. I was there a very long time and Doug and mom were only able to visit once each for 5 minutes. That was the most frustrating part. Finally, by 6pm, I got my private room (#6236 Memorial Hospital), with two recliners for mom and Doug and my pillow from home. The pillow from home is most wonderful.

I can't see the results of the surgery as I have bandages. There is a lot of pain, especially on my right side where the lymph nodes were removed. They even had to change my pain medication to something stronger than morphine. I can't remember the name...probably because I'm on it.

I'm very happy that now I can drink something because I was extremely thirsty and haven't had anything to eat or drink since last night at dinner. My throat is still scratchy from the intubation.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and good wishes. On with recovery!

2 comments:

  1. lara,
    This is Sharon Foust from VF in the payroll department. I was told that you had surgery and I am so glad to hear that it was a success. We are thing about you and have you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara,

    I'm so thankful for the updates! I didn't get your email from Wednesday night until yesterday around lunch time. Funny how God works. For some reason I thought that your surgery was scheduled for 9am. I started praying for you, your family and your doctors at 6:45 yesterday morning, hours before I received your request to pray for you all at 7:30am. I had to smile and I know that I know that all is well.

    Love you and can't wait to see you!!
    R

    ReplyDelete