Yesterday was an extremely busy day for me. I had three appointments in Chapel Hill... with the first at 9:30am. I met with the radiation oncologist, the general surgeon and the plastic surgeon.
The pathology report came back and confirmed my last MRI report. There was no evidence of malignancy in my breast or lymph nodes. Although no invasive carcinoma was identified, they did find two very small "residual foci of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), grade 2, solid pattern with focal involvement of the lobules (adjacent to clip within upper outer quadrant, and within lower outer quadrant)". This means that there were two small areas where pre-cancerous cells were found. But, other than that, I was cancer free going into the surgery. But, it was good to get the DCIS out since it really was a matter of time before that would become invasive.
The plastic surgeon says that I look good. I have a little necrosis (cell death) near the surgical scar area. As long as it doesn't worsen, I shouldn't have to have another surgery to remove it. (That would be the worst case scenario. It looks pretty good, though.) I see the plastic surgeon again on Monday.
The best part about yesterday was that I got to have three of my four drainage tubes removed. What a difference it makes. I can't wait to be free of the last one but I know that it could be a while.
Recovery from surgery has been harder than I thought it would be. My left side and arm mobility hasn't been that bad. However, my right arm is a different story! Since they removed the lymph nodes under my right arm, I have much more pain and can't raise my right arm much. (Typing this update is very difficult even with the keyboard on my lap! When possible, I'm typing most letters with my left hand.)
I have slept and slept and slept. My sister, Liza, arrived last night and I wish I could be awake more hours to visit with her. But, since she traveled from Paris, it's not so bad since she is jet lagging anyway! =)
My mom is making sure that Liza knows of all the physical therapy exercises that I have to do five times a day. She has also learned how to empty and measure my last drain tube and is great with getting me my medicines on schedule.
Thanks for the cards and flowers and food... We really appreciate the love!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment